Fleet Alert Status

Argus Array 2

Fleet News and Announcements (Public) You can also view in forums under "Fleet News"Feed Icon
No News Is Currently Available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    106th Fleet Forum Index -> Guides, Tips & Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

re: GUIDE: Keybinds and Macros in STO (DETAILED)

Here is a link to the STO topic on key binding.

STO Key Binding Executables <--- This link may not work and it may not have the old executable list anymore.
STO Wiki Keybinding Explanation

Last edited by Jeremy of the 106th on November 9, 2013 5:47:22 pm; edited 6 times in total

Heavily Active

re: Keybinding 101

Now that you have seen the Star Trek Online post on key binding, I am going to show you how to put that into practice...

First of all what you need to do is to get your current game binds. Now keep in mind there are two types of binds to work with. There is space binds and ground binds. Remember to keep these separate. I will be concentrating on Space binds.

To get your bind file, in your chat box type /bind_save_file <filename.txt>
Where <Filename.txt> is you need to put the name you want to call the file. For example, "Space.txt" without the quotes. Once you have done this step, we need to find that file now...

There are usually two places that are the most common. First place is where it is on my system which is a 64 bit Operating system is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live". "C:\" being the local drive on your system. Now if its a 32 bit system it could be "C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live" which all that is different is the "(x86). The next place it might be is "C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live" which is where Windows 7 commonly stores it.

Once you have found that file which it should be a text file that notepad opens, open it. It may have stuff already in it so if it does, do not touch it as those are your binds you may have set manually thru the options window or manually entered in the chat box.

Remember that post on STO? Well in this particular instance I am going to show you how to make your space bar balance shields as well fire your weapons at the same time.

Now keep in mind you can use any key on your keyboard OR MOUSE to bind to as long as you know its button name. Just remember it already may have a bind tied to it so this is use at your own discretion. If a problem ever does occur there is a button to "Default" back to system binds.

Ok, on a new line in that text file you will need to put this: SPACE "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll$$+Power_Exec Distribute_Shields"
  • The SPACE is the key we are binding to
  • The text after the SPACE is the power(s) we are binding
  • The $$ between the two powers tells STO that you have another command associated with this key.
  • What this will do is every time you hit the spacebar to fire, it will also balance your shields

Keep in mind STO only lets you activate two different powers with each press so if you bind more than 2 powers per key, you will have to hit it again to activate the third or more powers. Also, these powers are activated in random order. They will not activate in the order you have them listed.

Ok lets say you F1 to activate powers in Tray 2, slot 1, slot 2, slot 9, and slot 0. This is where it gets tricky. It is very imperitive to pay close attention to this as if you don't get it right, it will definately frustrate you. When it comes to your powertray, the tray number and slot number you see in game is not how you list it in your text file for key binding. When you key bind in your text file, the number you need is one number before the actual number tray and slot you want... So if Reverse Shield Poliarity resides in Tray 2, slot 1 you will use the following command to activate "+TrayExecByTray 1 0". As I said, you can add more than one power to any 1 key however, they will activate in random order and each key press will only activate 2 powers at a time to avoid the infamous "I WIN" button. Make sure you always start on a new line with each key you want bound to something.

OK so lets say you want F1 to put all power to weapons and activate 5 powers as well. The command to put all power to weapons is "GenButtonClick PowerLevel_Preset_0". Again the numbers are always 1 number ahead of what they are shown in game to you. So back to the equation... You want F1 to put all powers to weapons and turn on 5 power tray abilities. The command would be (on a new line and make sure to separate each command with "$$")

F1 "GenButtonClick PowerLevel_Preset_0$$+TrayExecByTray 1 0$$+TrayExecByTray 6 6$$+TrayExecByTray 2 3$$+TrayExecByTray 4 3$$+TrayExecByTray 8 1"
  • This command will put all power to weapons, and activate the powers
    • Tray 2 Slot 1
    • Tray 7 Slot 7
    • Tray 3 Slot 4
    • Tray 5 Slot 4
    • Tray 9 Slot 2

You do need the quotations around the power commands but not the key you are binding to with all commands here in the text file.

OK now on to the easier stuff... Some of you want to know how to do macros. My philosophy is this, if its a power, and it should be activated, then activate it... I run with 97% of all my powers activated at all times. Some call this cheating, some call it an unfair advantage, but IT IS NOT AGAINST THE TOS of Cryptic and it is NOT CHEATING as it doesn't support UNATTENDED GAME PLAY which IS against the TOS. This does help but takes away many advantages of not completely macro'ing everything. You will have to make your own determination on how much or how many keybinds you want macro'ed. The drawbacks are it lags out the UI more than the built in bugged game mechanic, you can't time anything etc. Now there are more ways to macro then the way I am going to show you, however this is the one I have used since macro'ing and I haven't changed... The key binding part will remain the same but how you take advantage of those key binds should be up to you.

All macros do is automate the button presses for you. You can achieve macros thru the use of gaming keyboards, macro software and even programs that activate button presses with a spoken word. You do not need a gaming keyboard to use macros!

The current macro program of choice is here http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/45332-macrogamer/ or you can do a search for gaming macro program.

Please post your questions here and I will try to help... Be sure to reference to the STO post on key binding in addition to your question(s).

Heavily Active

re: GUIDE: Keybinds and Macros in STO (DETAILED)

There is also and explantion of how keybinding works in STO. Combined with the command list in the link above and some general knowledge or willingness to read and learn, you too can keybind and macro.

http://www.stowiki.org/Guide:_Keybinds

Heavily Active

Post new topic   Reply to topic    106th Fleet Forum Index -> Guides, Tips & Tactics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: